English architect. Trained in the offices of Charles Barry and C. R. Cockerell, he commenced practising in Sheffield in c.1832, and was in partnership with Matthew Ellison Hadfield (1812–85) from c. 1838 to 1858. As Weightman & Hadfield, the firm designed many Roman Catholic churches, including the archaeologically derivative Cathedral at Salford (1844–8), based on medieval exemplars at Newark, Howden, and Selby. Among the firm's pupils was George Goldie.
Dixon and Muthesius (1985);Felstead , Franklin , and Pinfield (1993)