obscure Anglo-Saxon female saint. She was presumably the foundress of a nunnery at March (Cambs.), where a 14th-century church (with magnificent angel-roof) is dedicated to her. This stood on the site of the Anglo-Saxon church. Wendreda's relics were removed by Elsin, abbot of Ely, in the 10th century to his own church, where they were enshrined in gold. Later, the story goes, these relics were carried into battle against Cnut at Ashingdon (1016), who captured them and later gave them to Canterbury. No trace has been found of a liturgical cult.
Liber Eliensis (ed. E. O. Blake, C.S., 1962), pp. 145–8.