(b Munich, c. 1570; d Munich, 1608). German painter and draughtsman. In 1588–9 he was working as a journeyman for Alexander Paduano at the court in Munich and in 1594 he became court painter to William V, Duke of Bavaria. The high regard that he enjoyed was reflected in his salary, which was almost as high as Peter Candid's. His carefully worked miniatures and his subtle though hardly original altarpieces and devotional pictures, such as the Auxiliary Saints (c. 1590; Munich, Frauenkirche), fulfilled the requirements of the Counter- Reformation, and he constantly received important commissions. In 1600 he painted the altarpiece of the Virgin in Glory with Female Saints for the newly built chapel of the Residenz. In 1601 he collaborated with Candid in painting scenes from Bavarian history, for example the Battle at Mühldorf (Burghausen, Staatsgal. Hauptburg) in the Herkulessaal of the Residenz, and in 1602 he painted the ceiling of the Schwarzer Saal (destr. 1944), created as an architectural perspective. He was consulted as a specialist and on occasion even described as an architect. His portraits (1593–1608; seven, Berchtesgaden, Schlossmus.; five, Schleissheim, Neues Schloss; one, Munich, Bayer. Nmus.) of the ducal family, even the miniatures, are notable for their precision and factual accuracy.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.