(1825–1900). English High Victorian Gothic Revival architect. He trained in ‘Great’ Scott's office (where he met Bodley and Street) before establishing (1847) a practice in Cornwall. His works include the Church of All Saints, Notting Hill (from 1852), and St Saviour's, Aberdeen Park, both in London (1865—with a polychrome brick interior), but his master-work is St Michael's, Lyndhurst, Hants. (1858–70), a big red- and yellow-brick structure in the First Pointed style, with odd tracery, strange cross-gables, and a sumptuous polychrome interior that contains work by Edward Coley Burne-Jones (1833–98), Morris, Lord Leighton (1830–96), and Street. He also designed several houses, including the Old Rectory, St Columb Major, Cornwall (1849–50), the Vicarage, Little Baddow, Essex (1858), and Humewood, Co. Wicklow, Ireland (1873–7).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.