(Ger.: ‘Viennese Workshop’).
Arts and Crafts cooperative studio established in Vienna in 1903 by members of the Sezession. The workshop produced everything from jewellery to complete room decorations, including mosaics (see Klimt). Its designers and craftsmen aimed, like William Morris, to combine usefulness with aesthetic quality. Again like Morris, they found that their necessarily high prices prevented them from reaching the wide public they hoped for. Ultimately the venture was an economic failure and it closed in 1932.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.