Bp. of Oxford (1845–69) and then of Winchester. A son of W. Wilberforce, he encouraged the building of churches and the formation of Anglican sisterhoods, and he founded Cuddesdon Theological College (1854). His effective methods of pastoral administration were widely imitated. He promoted legislation to provide synodical structures for the colonial Church and to enable the appointment of missionary bishops. At Winchester he initiated the revision of the AV.