Bp. of Winchester from 1447. He had been headmaster of Winchester College and then provost of the newly founded Eton College. In 1448 he obtained licence to found a hall in Oxford to foster the study of theology and philosophy; in 1457–8 it was refounded as Magdalen College. He was a favourite of Henry VI, took a prominent part in public affairs, and was Chancellor from 1456 to 1460. He acquiesced in the accession of Edward IV, though he renewed his support of Henry in 1470–71.