Overview

Wilton diptych


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A small portable altarpiece of two hinged oak panels, painted and gilded on both sides, almost certainly intended for the private devotions of Richard II and resplendent with exquisite tooling and expensive pigments. The artist is unknown and the date, author, and motive of commission remain uncertain, despite scholarly debate. It was reputedly given by James II to Lord Castlemaine, before purchase by the earls of Pembroke at Wilton House, from which it takes its name, but has been in the National Gallery since 1929.

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.