(dafter 1501). German architect. He is first mentioned in the records of Wasserburg in 1470 as a resident master with citizen status, mainly involved with church building, fortifications and domestic architecture. His first works would have been executed under Stefan Krumenauer (See Krumenauer, (2)), the builder of St Jakob at Wasserburg am Inn. There he completed the side chapels and built spiral stairs in the corner piers; his master's mark is set above the spiral stairs. The chapel vaults have four S-shaped ribs and a ring in the place of a boss. Between 1470 and 1478 he continued work on the tower, building the three upper storeys (the spire was never built) and enlivening them with thin shafts, pinnacles set above corners, twisted colonnettes and a large ogee-arched window in the centre. In 1483–5 he built the small church of St Achatz on the right bank of the River Inn. The vaults and capitals are similar to those of the outer castle chapel at Burghausen, begun in 1479. He may also have been involved in work on the nearby church at Kircheiselfing, which was begun slightly later. As at Wasserburg and Burghausen, but here for no compelling reason, the piers of the north side are shifted half a bay's width, so that the transverse axes between the piers are oblique. Between 1501 and 1502 he built his last work, the two-storey cemetery chapel of St Michael at Wasserburg.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.