(1816–96). Prolific English Gothic Revival architect. Briefly a colleague of Butterfield (1844), his work featured sharp angles, inventive tracery, and imaginative use of materials. His best works are perhaps the House of Mercy, Clewer, Hatch Lane, Windsor, Berks. (1853–96), St Michael's College, Tenbury Wells, Worcs. (1853–6—an idiosyncratic building with very thin spiky dormers), the Church of St Peter, Hascombe, Surrey (1863–4), and his masterpiece, the Church of the Holy Innocents, Highnam, Glos. (1847–52), with a painted polychrome interior (by Thomas Gambier Parry (1816–88)) rivalling Pugin's work at Cheadle, Staffs.). He carried out numerous church restorations and erected vicarages, among them the red-brick and stone one at Toot Baldon, Oxon. (1860).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.