(fl 1585–1623). German cabinetmaker. The documents showing that in 1585 he was working for the Bavarian court, and that the court of Mantua wished to secure his services, indicate that he possessed unusual qualities as an artist and craftsman: this is confirmed by his principal works, which have not survived, but are recorded in illustrations. Wörtz was commissioned to execute all the carpentry for the interior of the former Dominican monastery church in Ulm, later called the Dreifaltigkeitskirche or Spitalkirche (destr. World War II). The perfectly unified furnishings included the high altar (1618), the pulpit with its superstructure, the gallery balustrade, the signed choir stalls (1623) and the pews in the nave. In 1891 the general appearance of the richly carved furnishings was severely impaired by the application of brown varnish, and in 1944 bombing destroyed them completely.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.