(1775–1852). English architect, eldest son of James Wyatt. In 1811 he won the competition to rebuild the Drury Lane Theatre, London (later altered by Beazley and others), which he published as Observations on the Design for the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, as Executed in the Year 1812 (1813). He succeeded his father as Surveyor of Westminster Abbey in 1813, and built up a flourishing London practice. With his brother, Philip William (d. 1835), he designed Crockford's Club, 50–3 St James's Street (1827—since altered), Londonderry House, Park Lane (1825–8—demolished), York (later Stafford, and later still Lancaster) House, St James's (1825–7), the Oriental Club, 18 Hanover Square (1827–8—demolished), and the addition of the portico and remodelling of the interiors of Apsley House (1828–9), all in London. He was particularly adept at re-creating the Louis Quatorze style which he first used at Crockford's Club. He redecorated the principal rooms at Belvoir Castle, Leics., and built a Romanesque mausoleum in the grounds (c. 1820–30), in collaboration with his brother, Matthew Cotes Wyatt (1777–1862). He designed the Duke of York's Column, Carlton Gardens, London (1831–4), and carried out extensive alterations at Stratfield Saye, Hants. (1838–40). He was declared bankrupt in 1833 and died in obscurity.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.