English architect, elder brother of Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, related to the other architectural Wyatts. He trained in Philip Hardwick's office, and entered into partnership with David Brandon (1813–97) in 1838. Their masterpiece was the Church of Sts Mary and Nicholas, Wilton, Wilts. (1840–6), a convincing Italianate basilica with detached campanile, recognized at the time as a major exercise in the Rundbogenstil, even in the Viennese journal Allgemeine Bauzeitung (Universal Building Journal). It is a remarkable and beautiful building, and contains Antique black columns (c.2 bc) as well as examples of Cosmati work from Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome. They also designed the Churches of St Andrew, Bethnal Green, London (1841—in a cheaper, less successful Rundbogenstil), and St Mary, Atherstone, Warwickshire (1849—Gothic), and the City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery (consecrated 1841), complete with two Gothic chapels and a pretty Gothic gateway and lodge (all the buildings were demolished following damage in the 1939–45 war). On his own, Wyatt designed Orchardleigh Park, Somerset (1855–8), in a vaguely Jacobean style. With M. D. Wyatt, he designed the polychrome Rundbogenstil Garrison Church of St George, Grand Depot Road, Woolwich (1862–3—gutted in the 1939–45 war and only partially preserved).
J. Curl (2000a);D&M (1985);Eastlake (1970);Hitchcock (1954);Pevsner (ed.) (1972)