English architect. A pupil of Chambers, he was Clerk of Works at Somerset House, London, from 1776. He was a fine draughtsman, probably the best among any C18 English architects. He designed the Temple of Health (1789) at Blenheim Palace, Oxon., and, with Henry Hake Seward (c. 1778–1848), rebuilt the west façade of the King Charles Block, Greenwich Hospital, London (1811–14), having succeeded Sir Robert Taylor as Surveyor of the Hospital.
Colvin (1995);W. Papworth (1892)