Belfast firm of architects founded in 1870 by Robert Young (1822–1917-a pupil of Lanyon) and John Mackenzie (1844–1917), later (1880) joined by Young's son, Robert Magill Young (1851–1925). The firm was very prolific, both in terms of churches and commercial work. Fitzroy Presbyterian Church (1872–4-Gothic Revival), Robinson & Cleaver's store (1886–8), Anderson & McAuley's store (1890), the Scottish Provident Institution (1897–1902), Ocean Buildings (1899–1902), and the Presbyterian Assembly Buildings (1900–5), all in Belfast, should be cited as examples of Young & Mackenzie's output. Ocean Buildings (an office-block) was unusual for its date, as its style was Gothic.
Brett (1967);Larmour (1987);Jane Turner (1996)