This Hungarian ceramics manufacturing company was established by Ignar Zsolnay in Pécs, factory management passing to his brother Vilmos in 1865. Rapidly growing in scale and international reputation until the First World War, the company produced traditional domestic pottery as well as decorative wares influenced by Turkish and Persian models. From the end of the 19th century the company manufactured designs in Art Nouveau and Hungarian Secessionist styles. Designers, such as József Rippl‐Rónai, whose Zsolnay designs included the celebrated Art Nouveau Andrássy tableware, and architects, such as the Hungarian Secessionist Ödön Lechner and the Austrian Secessionists Joseph Olbrich and Otto Wagner, produced designs for architectural ceramics that helped to enhance the company's reputation worldwide. Furthermore, in an experimental studio run by Vinace Wartha between 1893 and 1910, a series of iridescent glazes were developed, the most significant of these being used for Eosin ware, which was exhibited in Vienna at the turn of the century and was internationally in demand. Although the company went into decline after the First World War it has remained in production to the present day. However, many of its designs were essentially retrospective, as for example with the Baroqueservice no. 9355, which went into production after the Second World War, selling between 50,000 and 60,000 sets every year for decades. From the 1980s Eva Zeisel designed for the company.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.