Overview

Enrico Zuccalli

(1642—1724)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1642–1724).

Member of a family of architects from the Italian-Swiss Canton of Grisons. He was appointed (1672) Court Architect to Elector Ferdinand Maria of Bavaria (1651–79) in Munich in succession to Barelli, and enjoyed the favour of Elector Maximilian II Emanuel (1679–1704; 1715–26) so that he was the pre-eminent architect working in Munich for around a quarter of a century. His significance lies primarily in his success at transplanting Italian, French, and Austrian Baroque styles to Bavaria. For example, one of his first works was the centrally-planned pilgrimage-church at Altötting, which, although building ceased in 1679, introduced modern Roman Baroque ecclesiastical planning to Bavaria. He took over from Barelli (1674) the building of the Theatinerkirche (Church of the Order of Theatines) St Kajetan, Munich, designing the twin-towered façade (completed 1765–8 by Cuvilliés, who made changes to it during its building), the tall cupola over the crossing, and the interior. His greatest work was Schloss Schleissheim, near Munich (1684–1704). The layout there began with Schloss Lustheim (1684–9), set in gardens, and continued with the main palace (completed by Effner) which stands at one end of a long canal, Schloss Lustheim being sited at the other. Zuccalli supervised the making of some interiors of the Residenz (Seat of the Court—1679–1701—destroyed in the 1939–45 war, but partly restored) in Munich, including the Kaiserzimmer (Emperor's Room), Alexanderzimmer (Alexander Room), and Sommerzimmer (Summer Room). His extensions to Schloss Nymphenburg, Munich (begun 1701), consisting of pavilions linked to the main block, were based on the designs by Maroto for Het Loo, The Netherlands. He built the Palais Fugger-Portia, Munich (1693–4), and extended the Residenz in Bonn, completed by de Cotte. His last major commission was the rebuilding of Kloster (Monastery) Ettal, near Oberammergau (1709–26), including the design of the curved façade and the domed space of the church itself.

Bourke (1962);Brucker (1983);L. Hager (1955);L. Hager & Hojer (1976);Hauttmann (1921);E. Hempel (1965);Heym (1984);Lieb (1941, 1976, 1992);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Paulus (1912);Riedl (1977);Jane Turner (1912);

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.