Swiss painter (and occasional sculptor), a leading exponent of Symbolism and Post-Impressionism in his country. He was born in Solothurn and studied locally, then at the Munich Academy, 1886–8, and the Académie Julian, Paris, 1888–91. After a year at Pont-Aven working with members of Gauguin's circle, he returned to Switzerland, living at Basle and then Solothurn before settling at Oschwand in 1898. Thereafter he drew much of his inspiration from the surrounding countryside. He was a friend of Hodler and like him had a high reputation in German-speaking countries in the period leading up to the First World War. In 1906 he was invited to join Die Brücke and thereafter contributed regularly to the group's exhibitions, although he did not meet the other members until 1912, when he was in Cologne for the Sonderbund exhibition. In 1918 he took up sculpture (mainly portrait heads) and he also did a few murals. Up to the outbreak of the Second World War he made regular visits to Paris.
From A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art in Oxford Reference.