(fl 1582–after 1595). German architect. In 1583 the municipal authorities in Würzburg engaged him as a clerk of works (Werkmeister). Beringer had been involved in an extension to the Würzburg Bürgerspital zum Heiligen Geist from 1582, and his mason's mark is on the west wing of the hospital. When the college buildings and church of the University of Würzburg (designed by Joris Robijn) were built between 1582 and 1591, Beringer was in charge of the building work as the masons’ foreman, a role of special importance: he was paid a high fee of 250 florins for the architectural details of the high altar for the University Church (1588). On 22 April 1593 Beringer was assigned the task of raising the height of the two upper storeys, the scrolled gable and the roof of the old town hall in Würzburg. From 1592 he was in charge of remodelling and renovating the buildings at Himmelpforten Monastery in Würzburg, and from 1595 he was involved as clerk of works in an extension to Schloss Weikersheim. Beringer is regarded as a typical craft-trained architect–builder, active at the period of transition between German Late Gothic and Early Renaissance.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.