(fl. 1275–1321). Medieval master-mason. He worked at Canterbury Cathedral, and was the architect of St Stephen's Chapel, Palace of Westminster (from 1292). He was of great importance in the evolution of the Second Pointed style of Gothic, especially through his use of the ogee. He designed the Eleanor Cross at Cheapside, London (1291–4—destroyed); the canopied tombs of Edmund Crouchback and Aveline of Lancaster in Westminster Abbey (c. 1296); probably the Chapel of St Etheldreda, Ely Place, London (1290–8); the Lady Chapel in St Paul's Cathedral, London (c. 1307–12—destroyed); and the tomb of Bishop William of Louth, Ely Cathedral, Cambs. (c. 1298). He probably designed the tomb of Archbishop Peck-ham (d. 1292) in Canterbury Cathedral, Kent.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.