(b Poligny, Jura, ?1400; dLille, 24 Sept 1460). Burgundian patron. He was an important figure at the court of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. He was Canon of Besançon, Archdeacon of Rouen and Canon of Beaune before being ordained Bishop of Tournai in 1436. He was a counsellor of the Duke, and in 1453 he was in England, involved in peace negotiations with France. In 1460 he became Bishop of Toul but died on his way there; his body was interred in Tournai, but his heart was buried at Poligny.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.