Involved with Rationalism Italian architect and designer Milanese‐born Gardella emerged as an influential figure in the years immediately following the end of the Second World War. He had studied civil engineering and architecture and was involved with the activities of the CIAM (Congrès Internationaux d'Architecture Moderne), his earlier buildings including a Tuberculosis Outpatient Clinic and Laboratory in Alessandria (1936–8). After the Second World War he designed buildings for clients including Kartell at Binasco (with Anna Castelli Ferrieri, 1966), Alfa Romeo at Arese (1970), and Olivetti at Ivrea (1959) and Düsseldorf (1960). He was also involved with design, including participation in the progressive 1946 exhibition of furniture for small apartments mounted by RIMA (Riunione Italiana Mostra per l'Arredamento), design of The Chair exhibition at the 1951 Milan Triennale, and of the Diagramma chair for Gavina (1957). He had also founded his own furniture firm Azucena in 1947 for which he designed pieces in the 1950s, a period in which he also participated in a jury for an early Compasso d'Oro competition.
Subjects: Architecture — Industrial and Commercial Art.