French architect (from 1738) to Stanisław Leszczyński (1677–1766), King of Poland (1704–9 and again 1733–4), and Duke of Lorraine and Bar (1736–66). For the Duke, Héré de Corny produced many elegant designs for châteaux and garden-buildings in Lorraine, but his masterpiece is the sequence of urban spaces in Nancy—the Place Royale (now Place Stanislaus), the promenade or Place de la Carrière, and the Hemicycle (1752–6), that together form the most exquisite and impressive work of Rococo urban planning in the world. Héré published his designs in Recueil (1753–6) and Plans et élévations de la place royale de Nancy & des autres edifices à l'environment bâtis par les ordres du Roy de Pologne duc de Lorraine (1753). Earlier, he designed Notre Dame de Bon-Secours, Nancy (1738–41), as a mortuary-church for the Duke and his family. He also designed a series of gardens and fabriques at the Duke's estates of Chanteheux, Commercy, Einville, Lunéville, and Malgrange: Héré was among the first designers to build exotic fabriques, including the influential Turkish and Chinese Kiosks at Lunéville (1737 and 1740). At Lunéville he also built a Rocher or rock-work structure (1742–52) that was early for its type, and completed the Church of St-Jacques (1743–7).
Boyé (1910);Conner (1979);France-Lanord (1984);Héré de Corny (1753, 1753–6);P. Marot (1954, 1966);Rau (1973);Jane Turner (1996);Wiebenson (1978)