Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A type of ornamental veneer, in which shaped pieces of wood or other materials create a mosaic, usually forming floral, landscape, or arabesque patterns. If the design is geometric it is called parquetry. Marquetry differs from inlay, where a cut-out recess on solid furniture is filled with decoration.

Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.