percussion boring

'percussion boring' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Earth Sciences and Geography


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Drilling with a chisel-shaped bit which is repeatedly struck against rock to form a hole. It produces very fine debris, which can be washed away by drilling fluid. If only the drill bit can oscillate up and down to produce the percussive effect, the drilling equipment is called a ‘down-the-hole hammer’. If the whole series of drilling rods and bit are oscillated from outside the drill hole, the equipment is called a ‘drifter’. See down-hole hammer drilling.

Subjects: Earth Sciences and Geography.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.