Vienna-born architect. Half-brother of Leopoldo Pollack, he settled in Pest in 1798 where he had a successful career as a Neo-Classical architect, (e.g. Evangelical Church (1799–1808) ). Most of his work in Pest was for apartment-blocks and mansions with restrained façades and internal courts (e.g. Pollack House, Jossef Attila Street 6 (1822) and Festetits Mansion (1802–6) ). He also designed the County Hall, Szekszárd (1828–36), Festetits Palace, Dég, near Enying (1811–15), Ludoviceum, Pest (1828–36), Vigado Concert Hall (1829–32—destroyed), and Hungarian National Museum, Pest (1836–46—his masterpiece, incorporating a circular hall with dome modelled on that of the Pantheon, Rome). At Pécs (Fünfkirchen) he designed a Gothic Revival façade for the Cathedral (1807–25—destroyed when von Schmidt rebuilt it in a Neo-Romanesque style (1882–91).
Middleton & Watkin (1987);Jane Turner (1996);Zádor (1960, 1985)