John Seddon was born at Hereford on 8 December 1725 and died at Warrington, Lancashire on 23 January 1770. He was the son of Peter Seddon, a Presbyterian minister. He was educated at the Kendal Academy under Caleb Rotheram from 1742, proceeding to Glasgow University where he was taught by Hutcheson and Leechman. He was ordained on 8 December 1747 when he became minister at the Cairo Street Chapel in Warrington. Two academies, at Kendal and Findern, had closed in 1753 and 1754 respectively, and it was decided to open a new academy at Warrington. This opened in 1757 with Seddon as secretary and librarian. The divinity tutor was John Taylor, with whom Seddon had an uneasy relationship. Seddon also became ‘Rector Academicus’ in 1767 as well as tutor in belles-lettres, succeeding Priestley.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.