Rugby School

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Is a boys' public school founded by Laurence Sheriff, a merchant grocer of London, in 1567. The school became unfit for use in 1748 and was rebuilt on its present site consisting of a school house, quad, chapel, and a magnificent playing field. The subsequent high reputation of the school stems from the headmastership of Thomas Arnold.

Subjects: Literature — British History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.