Was founded under the name of ‘The Daily Universal Register’ on 1 Jan. 1785 by John Walter, the name being changed to The Times in 1788. It was one of the first papers to employ special foreign correspondents and war correspondents. Among notable men of letters who contributed to The Times in the early days were Borrow (from Spain), Leigh Hunt, and B. Disraeli (‘Runnymede Letters’). The most dramatic change in the appearance of the paper was the removal, on 3 May 1966, of the column marked ‘Personal’ from the front page, and its replacement by news. Of the three weekly supplements published by The Times group, the Times Literary Supplement was founded in 1902. The Times Educational Supplement in 1910, and the Times Higher Educational Supplement in 1971.