Unglazed, fired clay ware. White, soft-paste biscuit porcelain was particularly developed at Sèvres from 1753 onwards for the manufacture of figures and groups. Its appearance is similar to marble, therefore it was thought especially suitable for reductions and imitations of antique statuary. By the late 18th century it was produced by many leading European porcelain factories. In the 19th, however, it was to a large degree supplanted by Parian ware, which was cheaper.