Patron of St Ives (Huntingdon), a village formerly called Slepe. According to Goscelin (d. c.1107) the cult had been extant for a century. Four bodies were discovered in 1001, one of which had episcopal insignia buried with it. Following a peasant's dream this was unhesitatingly identified as that of a Persian bishop, Ives (or Ivo), who was supposed to have come to England and lived and died there as a hermit. The bodies were translated to Ramsey Abbey: miracles followed, mainly operated through a spring of water which flowed close to the relics and was believed to have medicinal powers. About a century later, light appeared at night reaching from Ramsey to Slepe which was interpreted as meaning that the companions of Ives should be translated back to Slepe, where a new foundation from Ramsey could enjoy this subsidiary shrine as a useful source of revenue, while that of Ives could continue at the mother-house. Feast: 24 April (at Ramsey, Ely, and St Albans).
Goscelin, Vita S. Yvonis in P.L., clv. 84 ff; G.P., p. 320; Stanton, pp. 180–1.