Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A hand instrument with a flat serrated tip or face used for compressing amalgam (amalgam condenser) or gold foil into a tooth cavity. The shape of the face may vary according to the shape of the cavity and is usually round, oval, or rectangular (box condenser/plugger). A mechanical condenser (automatic mallet) provides a controlled blow produced by hand, dental engine, or compressed air. A Hollenback condenser [G. M. Hollenback (1886–1973), American dentist] is a pneumatic device which provides a controlled condensation pressure of variable intensity up to 300 strokes per minute.

Subjects: Dentistry.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.