1. A showing of a film or video production to an audience; usage includes previews of films and commercials.
2. (perception) Filtering out some stimuli or data (see also attention). In the related usage of communication, see receiver selectivity.
3. (psychoanalytical theory) Anything which functions to defend someone from becoming aware of the latent meaning of a symbol, dream, or event.
4. (call screening) Checking the identity of phone callers before deciding whether to accept a call. This challenges the sender-oriented relationship of caller to called (see telephone), and is enabled by a built-in feature of mobile phones.
5. (research) The preselection of a subset of participants or instances for a study or test, screening out others.
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please,
or login to access all content.