By a long‐standing tradition, the large county of Sussex had its eastern and western parts, looking to Lewes and to Chichester. The county courts, quarter sessions, and usually the assizes were held alternately, and in 1832 the Reform Act recognized the situation by giving two representatives to each division. In 1888 separate county councils were established for East and West Sussex. This arrangement was continued by the Local Government Act of 1972, but Brighton was subsequently made a unitary authority.
Subjects: British History.