Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 A generic term for a teacher in further or higher education. In further education there are three lecturer grades: lecturer, senior lecturer, and principal lecturer. In universities the grading continues to reader and professor. Post‐1992 universities and colleges of higher education usually conflate the lecturer and senior lecturer grades into one, which is the equivalent on the pay scale to the standard lecturer grade in the older universities. Although further education colleges still refer to their teaching staff as lecturers, the national standards for qualified teacher status in the sector produced by Lifelong Learning UK refer to them throughout as ‘teachers’.

2 One who delivers a lecture. See also pay, teachers'.

Subjects: Education.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.