British ballet company formed by Antony Tudor and Agnes de Mille in 1938. It first performed under the name Dance Theatre at Oxford Playhouse, becoming the London Ballet in Dec. 1938 when it performed at its London base, Toynbee Hall. Its repertory consisted of works which Tudor had created for Ballet Rambert, such as Lilac Garden and Dark Elegies, plus new ballets, including Judgment of Paris, Soirée musicale, and Gala Performance. Among its dancers were P. Clayden, G. Larsen, M. Lloyd, van Praagh, and Laing. After Tudor and Laing went to New York, Lloyd and van Praagh became co-directors, expanding the repertory with Howard's La Fête étrange, among others. In June 1940 it was subsumed into Ballet Rambert.