Journal Article

The radius and other fundamental parameters of the F9 V star β Virginis

J. R. North, J. Davis, J. G. Robertson, T. R. Bedding, H. Bruntt, M. J. Ireland, A. P. Jacob, S. Lacour, J. W. O'Byrne, S. M. Owens, D. Stello, W. J. Tango and P. G. Tuthill

in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society

Published on behalf of The Royal Astronomical Society

Volume 393, issue 1, pages 245-252
Published in print February 2009 | ISSN: 0035-8711
Published online January 2009 | e-ISSN: 1365-2966 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2966.2008.14216.x
The radius and other fundamental parameters of the F9 V star β Virginis

More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Astronomy and Astrophysics

GO

Show Summary Details

Preview

We have used the Sydney University Stellar Interferometer (SUSI) to measure the angular diameter of the F9 V star β Virginis (β Vir). After correcting for limb darkening and combining with the revised Hipparcos parallax, we derive a radius of 1.703 ± 0.022 R (1.3 per cent). We have also calculated the bolometric flux from published measurements which, combined with the angular diameter, implies an effective temperature of 6059 ± 49 K (0.8 per cent). We also derived the luminosity of β Vir to be L= 3.51 ± 0.08 L (2.1 per cent). Solar-like oscillations were measured in this star by Carrier et al. and using their value for the large frequency separation yields the mean stellar density with an uncertainty of about 2 per cent. Our constraints on the fundamental parameters of β Vir will be important to test the theoretical models of this star and its oscillations.

Keywords: techniques: interferometric; stars: fundamental parameters; stars: individual: β Vir

Journal Article.  5750 words.  Illustrated.

Subjects: Astronomy and Astrophysics

Full text: subscription required

How to subscribe Recommend to my Librarian

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.