This chapter describes the ferry dock for the Southport-Fort Fisher ferry where the brick remains of a twenty-foot-tall lighthouse, Price's Creek Light, stand. Built in 1849, it was one of eight lighthouses along the lower Cape Fear used to mark the twenty-five-mile passage from Oak Island to Wilmington. The other seven are long gone. Price's Creek Light was a valuable signal station for the Confederate blockade-runners during the Civil War, and after the war it fell into disuse. All that remains is the conical brick base. The carousel and light have disappeared, and only an iron axle sticking up from the flattened top reminds us that it is headless. Here, also, is the nuclear power plant—Progress Energy's nuclear plant—where about 1 percent of all the water in the Cape Fear River is pumped into.
Keywords: ferry dock; Price's Creek Light; lighthouse; Cape Fear; Progress Energy; nuclear plant
Chapter. 3641 words. Illustrated.
Subjects: Social Impact of Environmental Issues (Social Science)
Full text: subscription required