St Machar's cathedral, built on the site of a church founded by one of St Columba's disciples (c.580), was rebuilt in granite after destruction by Edward III in 1336. Alternately under presbyterian and episcopal rule 1560–1690, then wholly presbyterian, the glory of its surviving interior is the nave's oak ceiling (1520). The central tower fell after a storm (1688). The episcopal cathedral, erected 1816–17 as St Andrew's chapel, is regarded by American episcopalians as their mother church.
Subjects: British History.