(Oxon.). Home of the dukes of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill. Situated in Woodstock, Blenheim palace was given to John Churchill, 1st duke of Marlborough, in gratitude for his victory in 1704 over the French at Blenheim. The architect was Sir John Vanbrugh, soldier and dramatist. Henry Wise (1653–1738) was largely responsible for the formal gardens, and a plan of 1709 signed by Bridgeman shows the main avenue stretching across Vanbrugh's bridge into the park. From about 1764 this area was planted and flooded by Capability Brown. The palace itself consists of a pedimented centre block, with flanking courts on each side. Inside the heroic scale is sustained in the great hall, saloon, library, and other rooms, with their paintings, furniture, bronzes, and tapestries. Sir Winston Churchill is buried in the churchyard at Bladon, on the edge of Blenheim Park.
Subjects: Lifestyle, Home, and Garden — British History.
Related content in Oxford Index
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content. subscribe or purchase to access all content.