Hungarian-born French architect, whose father, József Vágó (1877–1947), and uncle, László (1875–1933), were distinguished Austro-Hurgarian architects influenced by Otto Wagner and by Neo-Classicism. As a pupil of Perret, construction and its expression was always a strong component in his work. He was editor of the influential journal L'Architecture d'aujourd'hui in the 1930s which publicized International Modernism. He set up his own practice in 1934 and exhibited a prefabricated steel house at the Exposition de l'Habitation in Paris that year. He prepared master-plans for several towns, including Arles, Avignon, and Beaucaire (1945–7), and Le Mans (1947–8). His buildings included churches, houses, villas, and much else. He collaborated with Eugène Freyssinet on the design and construction of the Basilica of St Pius, Lourdes (1958), a vast reinforced-concrete structure. In 1932 he founded the Réunions Internationales des Architectes, an important forum which evolved into the Union Internationale des Architectes (UIA) after the 1939–45 war, with Vago as its Secretary-General.
Kalman (1994);Merényi (1970);Jane Turner (1996);Vágó (2000)